On successfully completing and passing the course, participants will have received the necessary training described in the training update requirements for Electro-technical Officers as stipulated in the Qualification regulations for seafarers, 22 December 2011, no. 1523.
Appendix IV of the regulations, STCW table A-III/6 and A III/7 – Upgrades for electro-technical officers, electrical and electronic installations and control installations at operative and support levels.
The supplementary training meets the Norwegian Maritime Authority’s qualification requirements.
● First aid for electrical injuries
● Practical cardiopulmonary exercises
● Power electronics (Power converters)
● Structure of electric power grids/high voltage:
● Switch types, distribution boards and equipment
● High-voltage cables
● Technical safety barriers and risk assessment
● Electrical hazards
● Protective equipment and clothing
● Safety Supervisor and Switching Supervisor (high voltages)
● Practical exercises
● Using voltage testers and earthing equipment
● Planning and preparing switching orders
● General maintenance/testing
● High-voltage measuring techniques
● Structure of high-voltage cables for use in maritime installations
● Cable termination techniques
● High-voltage cable splicing
● Contact materials and tools
● Practical exercises in the high-voltage lab
Two months prior to the start of the course, participants receive access to the e-learning courses “FSE Ship: low-voltage and high-voltage” and “ FSE Ship: exercises (STCW 2010)”. Participants also receive an email containing exercises they must solve (approx. 10 hours work). The completed exercises must be returned at least 7 days prior to the start of the course, and the solutions approved by Trainor.