This course teaches participants to interpret zone maps and install electrical equipment in hazardous areas, and install and calculate the function and safety of intrinsically safe electrical circuits in hazardous areas.
Electricians, technicians, engineers, automation technicians and others who work with measuring and control signals in Ex areas.
Subjects covered in the course
- Zone classification
- Explosion theory
- Equipment categories and gas grouping
- Ex Installation Guide as related to EN/IEC 60079-14 Electrical apparatus for explosive gas atmospheres - Part 14: Electrical installations in hazardous areas (other than mines) and IEC 61892-7 Mobile and fixed offshore units - Electrical installations - Part 7: hazardous areas
- Protection methods
- Temperature classes
- IP classification
- Intrinsic Safety - philosophy
- IS marking
- Extractions from EN 60079-11 Intrinsically safe apparatus (Exi)
- Energy limitation
- Zener barriers
- Galvanic isolators
- IS applications
- Practical exercises in selection and installation of zener barriers.
According to guidelines from Norwegain Oil and Gas (059) and the NFEA Ex-KOMP:2021 guidelines for training, the competence should be updated at least every five years.